Monday, January 26, 2009

Story of the Invisible Man and general update on Houston…

I am the “invisible man” in office. My boss cannot even be bothered to see how I was doing despite him being near my cubicle. That why I call my workplace the “CELL”.

It’s kinda sad, I know… but oh well, just gotta keep myself motivated on the job. Don’t get me wrong, my boss is a nice guy. Just that it seems like they dun really understand the meaning of a management trainee. They dun even know Next Gens exist before Boo and I came to the place. Which I dun blame them - given the way their operations are run, they have minimal contacts with other subsidiaries of NOV. They kinda have so little expectation (like what Raman lamented…) of NGs that it actually wows them when we could accomplish simple task like generating an Excel table.

I will just do and learn what I can here, as much as possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little update of Houston:

Accomodations

Back in my apartment in Houston, it is so full packed with activities man… Daniel and Rafael (Mexicans), Bjarte (Norwegian), Victoria and Sean (British), Mat (Canadian) and Cuiwen …. we kinda hang out quite frequently.  Dinners, Pancake breakfasts,Shopping, Salsa dancing, chilling, partying and gym too… woohoo

Plus, Lernik and Dmitry (Russians) are here too ! Hopefully we are gonna have some Russian Vodka !!

Work

The weather is a little erratic, cold in the mornings but hot in the day. So it still needs a little getting used to… but for sure I am cool abt it. I work from 7 am till 4 pm daily becos I wanna siam the morning traffic. It is atrocious man…. Lanes are forever merging at the filter lanes on the highway; cars are exiting and entering at close proximities, so it like traffic jam at every of such places…. I swear to god… it is so painful man… *roll eyes*

People

People are generally nice, when you open up to them in Houston. Otherwise, it’s pretty hard to strike a conversation with them sometimes. Now I can feel why Ken (Canadian colleague) felt unwelcomed there. As a matter of fact, I am thankful to many of my colleagues here that assisted me with AutoCAD, work matters and also some chit chatting.

And I am so looking forward to “skyping” with everyone who will be having Reunion dinner at home in Singapore on Sunday morning (Houston time). I will be in Austin btw… =)


HAPPY CHINESE NEW YR PPLE !!!
And have a successful and prosperous new year ahead !!

=)

No comments: