Sunday, March 22, 2009

Working and Travelling – A path I chose….

Let’s face it; in my line of work, I would need to travel, whether it is short term or long term. And like I told Chek, the day I decided to go into this industry is the day I told myself to look forward and not regret my decision.


So sometimes, I am kinda amused when people start commenting like “Wow, you are travelling again… and wow… travelling is so fun for you”. Travelling is fine, if and only if you are travelling for leisure. Take my stay in Houston for example. My thinking is that since I am here already, might as well travel as much as possible because I wouldn’t know the next time I will be here again; thus, all the travelling from New Orleans, LA, New York and etc. But I am here for work ultimately, to get drafted into a permanent position. So the travelling is just a bonus for me, not something that I planned.

Basically, what I am trying to say is that most of my friends like to travel for leisure, but not many would want to travel frequently for work. So, please don’t look at my “bonus” as a big deal people, because I still have:

1) Jetlag issues.
Imagine having to fly back from Canada to Singapore; then Singapore to Houston in a span of 1 week. It was 50 hrs of flight in 2 weeks and man… it was crazy. I had 24 hrs of sunlight on the to flight and another 24 hrs on the fro flight… those who flew to far places would know what I am saying.

2) Family and Friends at home
Singapore is where my family and most of my friends are. So yeah of course I miss all you people, but I can’t possibly split myself up to catch up with everyone. Especially my family, as much as I would like to spend more time with them, I can’t. Also, I miss so much by being outta Singapore for 6 months man… dun really know what the gang’s been up to too… hahaha

3) Social Pressure
People around me are starting to get married and stuff… hahaha. All I get during all the relatives outings are questions on when is it my turn to get married. I don’t even have a gf for goodness sake. To add to that, travelling so much makes it real difficult to find someone to settle down with. Nevertheless, social pressure is not something that bugs me anyway… but I am just saying this is what I go through sometimes.


As I reiterate, I have chosen my way to live my life; so I can’t complain that much can I ? I can’t deny that I did travel quite a bit during the 6 months, and I also experienced a rich variety of cultures and groups of people. These wonderful friends include the Mexicans, Russians, British, South Africans, Americans, Canadians, PRCs, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Arabians and many more. My only regret is not being able to travel to Mexico City though… because I wanna see the Stepped Pyramids there. Oh well…. Leave some regret so that I would wanna come back to this area again.


That reminds me, I just told Tian Cai that one day I wanna go Seychelles Islands, hopefully for my honeymoon. I heard lotsa wonderful things about the place from my colleague who originated there. According to him, Seychelles Island is the number 1 place in the world to go diving. For those who don’t know where it is, it is at the top of Madagascar and bottom of India; kinda near Maldives.


I think I daydream too much arh !! hahahaha

But I am serious about visiting Seychelles Islands someday though….

2 more weeks and I am home, definitely staying put for the next 3 months.
So see you all soon !

=)

No comments: