Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Overly-concerned netizens… ? Or just pure "kaypohness" ...

I always tell myself that tagging on fb is, crudely put, comments that are not that important but fun to have… be it witty phrases or general what have you… Simply put, I think most of those comments are written when people are bo liaoz… or even from people that are not so familiar… I for one attest to such indulge.


Reason for defining them was that while I was skimming through fb yesterday night, I saw something which got me thinking. A fren just changed his status from “attached to ____” to “single”. This move turned out to be a hit, as there were already 20 comments in the matter of 1 hour… So what got me thinking was that do people really need to show their care and concern(s) in this way ?

I shall give 3 reasons to reinforcement my assertion:

1) This is “purely” somebody else’s business to be fair; so none of us would be in any position(s) to give any comments / take sides, no matter how close, because only the 2 of them knew the true story.

2) Granted, it’s a way to show your moral support; however, isn’t it bad enough already that a broke up has taken place. I mean hearts must have already been bleeding then I suppose, so no need to add salt to the wounds by declaring to the world “hey pple, I know this fren here who just turned single; he’s a loser…”

3) There are better alternatives to give moral support. A more personal touch like calls, smses or emails would have done wonders… besides… if you guys are that close, surely there will be no problems with hp numbers or sms wont cost much right ?

As I reiterate, this kinda thingy is really other people’s businesses… granted… I never agree with revealing to people your relationship status in the first place… but give the guy a break … life goes on man… it’s just incredible that I see 20 comments of “Take care dude…” or some sorts.

Is it a case of overly-concerned netizens, a result of us being sucked into this face-paced abyss that we all fail to realize that hurt people are best left alone, or maybe human just like to poke into other’s businesses, esp unpleasant ones ?

I really dunno….

What do you guys think ?

No comments: